About Blog

Information and inspiration on psychology, coaching, motivation and living a purposeful life.

Check out Lisa's website: http://www.lisawalsh.org/ for free resources & information on the services which she provide as a coach & speaker.

Friday, June 19, 2009

Welcome to Be Informed, Be Inspired

Greetings all,



Welcome to my blog. Here I will share daily inspiration with you about Psychology, Coaching, Wellness, and more. I think when we are informed and inspired by what we read we are more likely to take positive action eventually..



In a recent study discussed in Virus of the Mind, by Richard Brodie it was found that when participants attended a self development course/seminar the feedback they gave immediately afterwards was really positive and they were sure they were going to implement what they had learnt. However, six months later in a follow-up study of the participants who said they were going to make postive changes only 3% had!



Sound familiar? We all to often have genunine intentions, but things just happen and we go back to our old ways not because we want to, but because we have been doing the same thing for so long that it is hard to break the cycle. Being an avid learner myself I have attended my fair share of self development programs and must hold my hand up to leaving an event and being pumped to experience my fab, sparkly new life that eagerly awaits me, only to find a week later that I have all but forgotten what I had learnt. The hastily scribed notes that I guarded like the whole grail during the course lay dormant, never to be opened again..



As a Psychology teacher, coach and speaker I am acutely aware of how important it is to gently encourage others to make beneficial changes in their lives and I also know how hard it can be! We hold onto old patterns of behaviour not because they work, but often because we are scared of the alternative. Change is scary, but the more we honour our true nature the easier positive change becomes.



Are there things that are not working in your life and you know are worthy of your attention? I have found personally and from clients that when we take just one habit and conquer it, it often gives us the push and confidence to take on bigger, more damaging habits. Go easy on yourself, write down your goals, be accountable, seek support, review and refine your goals and if necessary restart them.


“Habit is habit, and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.” - Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment